Some oral interview advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some oral interview advice

Post  Sean Wilson on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:50 am

As far as the oral, there are some books out there that you can buy. Look for them on Amazon.com. Do a search for "firefighter oral exam" or "firefighter oral interview" and see what books are recent and look good.

Beyond that, ask yourself the hard questions:

--Why do I want to be a fireman?
--What is my greatest strength?
--What is my greatest weakness?
--Why do I want to work for THIS fire dept?
--What is the most important quality for a firefighter to have?
--Your officer gives you an order you feel is unsafe, what do you do?
--You see a co-worker put something in his pocket while overhauling in a bedroom after a fire, what do you do?

Learn as much as you can about that FD and how they operate. How they are staffed, how many stations and apparatus they have. How many runs they went on last year. If possible, go visit a station and talk to someone there. If you identify yourself as an applicant, word will spread about you--that you're serious about this job and want to learn all you can. Read up on the city, check wikipedia for vital stat's: Population, square mileage, etc.

Always always ALWAYS emphasize that you are team-oriented individual. Team sports, even if not officially organized (pick-up games on the block, etc.), are seen as good thing in the fire world. Let them know that you are a team-player. You want to belong to an organization, you want to contribute and fit. You want to learn and prove yourself to them.
Sean Wilson
District Chief
District Chief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some oral interview advice

Post  MattMarken on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:52 pm

I highly suggest "Captain Bob's golden nuggets". It's a DVD that Mr. Karwowski raved about and it's worth every penny. Google it and you'll find all you need to know. It also comes with 2 audio CDs. The very first question addressed in the DVD was a question that I was asked in the mock interview. This is well worth it.

Mr. Wilson. Redford has an ad in the paper for a Firefighter position. You might want to add the specific info on the jobs posting board. http://www.redfordtwp.com/dept/hr/

To anyone else from the Spring academy that's a part of this forum, the state test results are in but final grades have not been posted yet. Print out your certs immediately, make copies, and put them in a fireproof safe. You can get a cheaper one at an office supply store. Keep a spare set of keys in there as well as a copy of everything in your wallet. It will make your life easier one day.

Matt
MattMarken
Volunteer
Volunteer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Wilson on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:46 pm

Marken, the two of us should co-author a book of fatherly advice someday.
Sean Wilson
District Chief
District Chief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMarken on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:52 am

Thanks. Maybe we can get Nelson Muntz to contribute also.

Chapter 1: Don't be a dingus.

In the fall, I'll be at Radcliff from 3-10pm on Tuesdays. I'll stop by and see how the next academy is doing. My old boss's son will be in the August one.
MattMarken
Volunteer
Volunteer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Wilson on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:39 am

That would be a loooooong chapter.

Cool. Stop by and say hi.
Sean Wilson
District Chief
District Chief